9th NASS: I'll Contest Deputy Senate Presidency, Insists Kalu - Akelicious | Latest News Headlines| Politics, Entertainment, Sport

Just In

Wednesday

9th NASS: I'll Contest Deputy Senate Presidency, Insists Kalu

                                 
All Progressives Congress (APC) Senator-elect, Dr Orji Uzor Kalu has said he would contest the Deputy Senate President position in the Ninth National Assembly.

Akelicious reports that Kalu, a former governor of Abia, disclosed this on Monday in Abuja, while speaking with State House correspondents after a closed-door meeting with President Muhammadu Buhari.

Reaffirming his earlier position on the DSP post at the presidential villa, the Forbes-rated billionaire said he was the 56th senator to endorse Ahmed Lawan for the Senate Presidency.

“Well, I am going to contest on the floor of the Senate. I am waiting for the party to zone (the offices) and if the party continues to hold it, and don’t zone it, I will contest on the floor of the House.

“I have already endorsed Ahmed Lawan as the Senate President. That is sacrosanct in my mind and I am appealing to the other parties, let us have only one candidate in the Senate instead of going to drag for it. So, we are on course.

“Yesterday (Sunday), when I returned from Venezuela, Ahmed Lawan was with me in the house and I became the 56th APC senator to endorse him. As I am talking to you now, we are having two more people who are in Mecca, one senator from Katsina and the other from Lagos. Fifty-eight senators are going to sign in and we have the majority to make him Senate President.”

He expressed optimism that the executive and the 9th National Assembly would work harmoniously unlike what obtained in the outgoing 8th Assembly.

No comments:

Post a Comment